STVALL: Towards the concept of education through Smart TV
This project has been co-financed by the Ministry of Economy and Infrastructure of Junta de Extremadura and by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) of Extremadura (Ref. IB16160).
The STVALL project, funded by the Junta de Extremadura (Spain), has as its main objective to develop an English teaching platform based on HbbTV technology for interactive television that offers personalized training pills to a user or a group of users. The HbbTV standard is available in a good number of televisions, with a great development in Europe and good progress in the rest of the world. The training pills have been created by a team of experts, paying special attention to the effectiveness of the proposals.
The STVALL project aims to improve the English level of people with a pleasant method and with personalized content through Smart TV. We have studied the best technology to reach the largest number of people and we have designed educational activities adapted to television.
To achieve this general objective, the following specific objectives have been established:
- Analyse the different devices, standards and possibilities of development of interactive applications in DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television) as in Smart TV.
- Create an application development guide for the selected devices and establish the method for evaluating the usability of these applications
- Analyse different techniques of recommendation of audiovisual contents according to the user’s preferences and characteristics, and according to social relations (shared interests, etc.) with other users. Contemplate the individual and group recommendation.
- Design of an interactive educational application based on a recommendation for the personalized teaching of languages through television.
- Evaluate the educational effectiveness of the application developed in different scenarios.
Methodologies & Phases
The work plan is divided into three parts. In the first part, it is about studying the devices, standards and their possibilities. In the second part, we will face the development of the tools / demonstrators with which we want to test the feasibility of the project, and, finally, we will focus on the different analyses on the products generated.
The STVALL project is an initiative which contributes to improving the learning of English through intelligent TVs. We have designed a system comprising an application that uses HbbTV technology whose objective is to serve as an interface for the user, a server in charge of the process of the inputs and outputs of the system, a storage system to store the information and an author tool to manage the system.
As a result, users have an application on their TV that allows them to work on improving their level of English through educational activities focused on entertainment and increase of their motivation. In addition, these activities will be adapted to their knowledge and preferences, achieving individual and different learning path for each user. It also considers group participation, generating a user model so that the experience offered by the application can fit into each of the group members.
Currently, the STVALL project is in the design stage, working on a future deployment and the evaluation of the system with real users.