THE OTHER ICTs: The integration of mobile devices for language teaching in Primary Education
The debate around ICT (Information and Communication Technology) for education tends to highlight the computer as the only available device used to access information and communication. However, there are currently a series of new options that allow mobility, in addition to innovative forms of interaction (PDAs, Tablet PC, OLPC, Nintendo DS, blackboards, robots and pets, etc.) Thus, we find technological resources that if They are incorporated into the teaching program, they can enrich the learning process, providing initial opportunity for teachers and students at all educational levels, as well as allowing temporary and spatial communication and exchange without borders.
These new tools allow us to develop cognitive and training skills and skills in the use of technology through games and teaching-learning tasks, the objectives set in many educational programs. Taking into account the above, the study we propose is framed in a specific educational context: the potential of mobile devices in language learning in Primary School, a stage in which language and technology acquisition constitute two fundamental pillars.
Therefore, the objectives established in this project can be summarized as follows:
(1) research and analysis of mobile devices currently available;
(2) describe their educational possibilities and evaluate their potential for application in the classroom;
(3) create appropriate activity prototypes for each of the selected devices;
(4) establish an evaluation system of the respective devices selected by the students;
(5) analyze the results obtained through research in the real classroom.